Thursday, March 27, 2008

Forever


When my oldest friend Jodi came to visit last November she brought me these beautiful ceramic angels. Jodi's always had a thing for angels. I loved the sculpture, and we laughed about which angel was her and which was me. Then I put it on the shelf in my living room and hadn't thought much about it until now.

Today Jodi joined the angels she's always loved. 18 months post transplant. I know that I'm supposed to be grateful for those 18 months, but mostly I feel cheated. 80% of lung transplant recipients live 8+ years past their transplants, and many live much longer.

I am grateful for our final weekend together. I did see her one last time before she passed, in the ICU in Toronto, but it's the two days of chatting, hugging and sharing tea that will always be, in my heart, my final visit with Jodi.

Now that she's gone I look again at this angel sculpture, only this time I really see it. Two angels, 'friends forever'. Thank you Jodi. Thank you for the angels to remind me of you, thank you for 17 years of friendship, 17 years of love. Thank you for being patient with me when I was selfish, for loving me when I was unlovable, for teaching me more than I can say. I miss you.

Friends Forever.

No comments: