Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A little quilty for a baby-to-be

A lovely lady at work is expecting her first baby, a girl. As soon as she announced the pregnancy I knew I needed to make a little quilty for the bundle of joy.

IMG_1444sm

I chose the New Wave pattern from Elizabeth Hartman of Oh Fransson. I modified it slightly to get the finished size I wanted (about 45" x 48"). It's constructed with fabrics from Connecting Threads featuring cupcakes and ice cream and macarons, how better to celebrate a 'sweet' baby? I love the colours too, a rosey pink, aqua and cream, all grounded with a chocolately brown, feminine without being cloyingly sweet.

IMG_1446sm
The back is a stripe of the focal fabrics from the front, along with two big patches of solids in the same rosey pink and aqua. I love the back, it's simple and soothing, but still visually appealing. Really, I think you could use both sides!

Edited to add: it has been received by the mama, who was pleased :) Now the countdown is on for baby's arrival!

No comments: